Being Fit and Fabulous is not just about our physical health but also our mental and spiritual health. The combination of all three areas of our being is important to our overall health and wellness.
One of my biggest hurdles in life is starting the day well. I’m not a restful sleeper and many mornings wake as early as 3am. I find it difficult to go back to sleep and as soon as I’m awake my mind is ‘on’ and I usually make a coffee and head to my laptop to check out social media or my blog.
Not a great way to prepare for my day!
I’ve written about my word for 2017 which is ‘Simplify’. One of the areas I would like to simplify is gaining control over social media – rather than it controlling me. So I need to make some changes to my day.
My P.T. and I sat down last week and made our plan to be more Fit and Fabulous in 2017. Now that we have our plan it is time to put it into practice and first up is to create a daily ritual.
START & FINISH THE DAY CALMLY
I’m creating a daily ritual for mornings and evenings. This way I am starting the day positively and preparing for the day. My evening ritual will include reflecting on my day and relaxation to help me sleep better.
I’D LOVE TO SHARE MY THOUGHTS SO HERE ARE MY WAYS TO CREATE A DAILY RITUAL TO BE FIT AND FABULOUS
I’m currently reading a book ‘Are you Willing to Show Up and Live your Best Life?” by Dr James Rouse. Dr Rouse suggests four ways to start your morning – Mindfulness, Move, Mediate and Meal.
- Gratitude – When I wake, I will think of AT LEAST ONE THING I am grateful for. Starting the day with a grateful heart is a favourite saying of mine. We can lose sight of all the positives and good things in our life because we are too busy. Taking the time first thing in the morning before getting out of bed will help my mental and spiritual well being.
- Yoga and Stretching – each morning I will do a gentle yoga and stretching practice.
- Enjoy a coffee or tea and think about my day – the way your day unfolds is a result of how you are feeling so taking time to think and just ‘be’ will help
- Eat a nutritious breakfast to give me the energy I need to power through the day.
- Turn off the screen – Another ritual Dr Rouse suggests is to turn off all screens – TV, ipad, laptop and phone at least 1 hour before you go to bed. I have a habit of hopping into bed with my e-reader but that will have to change.
- I’m keeping a journal. My lovely P.T. Nikki, suggested that we keep a journal of our thoughts and feelings. I’ve read many blog posts about keeping a journal but I haven’t really done this before. My journal will be just for me and I will use it to reflect on my day, how I’m feeling, what I achieved and even the not so good things.
- Reflection – Taking time to reflect and be thankful for the day in my quiet space with no distractions.
- Writing a note for my Positivity jar something that was positive in my day. We can all find something even if it is small.
Can you create a daily ritual which will help your mental and spiritual wellness?
Let’s Keep Sizzling!