When I was a teenager I struggled with weight and was constantly on a diet of some kind or another. There was always some new diet to try which guaranteed you would look like a super model in JUST 7 DAYS!!!!
Now I know better – although there are still diet fads that pop up in our social media, magazines and television all claiming to solve all of our problems.
The bad news is FAD DIETS DON’T WORK! – Sorry to disappoint you. In fact, I don’t believe that the word ‘diet’ should be associated with weight loss. Read my article on why I believe Diet is a Dirty Word and should be removed from our vocabulary.
Sure, you might lose weight initially but when you return to your normal eating pattern the weight creeps back on.
According to Gary Foster, Ph.D., Clinical Director of the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania:
65% of dieters return to their pre-dieting weight within 3 years.
Now before you despair, there is GOOD NEWS ahead.
Here are 4 ways to lose weight and achieve a healthy balanced lifestyle.
1. Taking the Healthier Food Option
If you wrote down a list of foods that you eat each day what would your list look like? Can you replace some with healthier options? Even making slight tweaks to your diet can be beneficial, however, to achieve your goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle, you do need to take the healthier food options most of the time.
I live by the 80/20 rule. Following a healthy well-balanced meal plan for 80% of the time and then have some ‘treats’ for the other 20%.
There is no way around it, we need to incorporate exercise into our weight loss program. Not only does it burn excess fat and calories but it is great for our mental health. When we exercise our bodies feel alive. How often have you worked out and afterwards thought ‘Wow! I feel great!”? I love that after-workout ‘glow’.
3. Drink More Water
Feeling hungry? You may actually be thirsty. If you think you are hungry, try drinking a glass of water instead. No, I’m not saying to skip meals but sometimes we forget to keep hydrated and if we aren’t drinking enough water our bodies start to tell us.
4. Keeping the Balance
Most importantly, for long term weight loss you need to realise it won’t and shouldn’t happen overnight. Having a well balanced diet and regular exercise plan with the commitment to a long term goal will give you results.
I’m all about Balance in life – not living by extremes. This means, you can occasionally have a treat and you shouldn’t live on lettuce leaves. The trick is to limit your ‘treats’ so that you appreciate them and they aren’t part of your everyday diet.Forget fad diets! Make healthier food choices, exercise more, drink water and you will lose weight.Click To Tweet
Join me tomorrow for ‘E’ is for Exercise and how to find 30 minutes each day.
I would love you to join me on my journey and subscribe for regular motivation and tips for a Healthier, Happier Life – Click Here
Let’s Keep Sizzling!