It is July and this month on Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond it is all about putting the focus on YOU! In my previous post 31 days to focus on YOU I outlined my plan for this month’s theme and the topics I would be writing about.
Where is your Focus?
Recently I read a post by Debbie Harris at Deb’s World and it was titled ‘Where is your focus – in front or behind?’
That blog title started me thinking and then the universe must have been speaking to me because I then read a post by Roxanne Jones on her blog Boomer Haiku, ‘Ever say ‘I can’t wait until I’m old enough too’….’ which had a great quote:
Focusing on the future. we tend to ignore today. Be here, be now.
Both of these posts reminded me that having a focus is important but also as we age being focused on what makes us happy and contented in life TODAY rather than YESTERDAY or TOMORROW is even more important.
Too often we focus on what we want to do in the future or we are fixated on something from our past that we just can’t let go of. We might look back and think of how much time we wasted on worrying about things – especially those things we had no control of.
Let’s not wish our life away and not enjoy today.
This year I’m really trying to focus on the here and now. Sure I have goals I’m working towards and I love planning our trip which we are taking in October. We are going to Spain and Italy and I’m really looking forward to it. Some days I say ‘oh I can’t wait’ and that is fine to feel excited and feel the anticipation.
But what a wasted life if we let days pass without finding something beautiful in them.
Focus on something that brings you joy each day
My darling grandson Ethan, who is 3 years old really shows me how to enjoy the moment. I’ve learned so much from this little guy. Each week we spend the day together and time stands still. We find enjoyment in laying down and watching the clouds, looking at the Rainbow Lollikeets (as he calls them) (Rainbow Lorrikeets) who are chirping in the tree outside of his bedroom window.
He shows me how to use my imagination as he takes me into his world of dinosaurs or pirate ships or construction sites or using swimming goggles as binoculars to ‘bird watch’.
He brings me joy but also I take the time to find joy in simple every day things:
- Roses and flowers in general – I love the perfection of a rose in full bloom, the perfume, the colours. Sunflowers that just shout ‘happiness’.
- My morning ritual of feeling thankful and grateful and welcoming each day in a more relaxed way.
- Running and exercise – I feel alive after a good workout and spending time with my Saturday Sisters who are my friends and good for my soul.
- The beauty and wonder of nature
- My evening ritual with my husband as we share a pre-dinner drink and then prepare dinner together
- Visiting my MIL at her aged care facility and seeing the faces of the residents light up because my husband and I say ‘hello’. It doesn’t take much to make someone’s day.
Nothing to set the world on fire but important parts of my life and well-being.
What brings you joy TODAY?
What do you want to focus on TODAY?
I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas so leave me a comment below.
Have a beautiful day my friends, and make the most of doing something just for YOU!
Let’s Keep Sizzling!