I love the traditional Devonshire Tea – Scones with jam and cream and no High Tea menu would be complete without this favourite.
This is a twist on the traditional recipe as it uses only 3 ingredients. They take no time at all and taste light and fluffy. Combined with jam and cream they are the perfect addition to your ‘High Tea’ Menu.
Mini Scones served with strawberry jam and cream
3 cups self-raising flour
1 cup cream
1 cup soda water or 1 cup of lemonade (note: use a pinch of salt if using lemonade)
Milk to glaze
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Sift flour into bowl and make a well in the centre
- Add the cream and soda (or lemonade).
- Using a knife mix until ingredients all come together
- Knead on a floured board and pat into a round about 1.5cm (3/4 inch) thick
- Using a small cutter 2.5cm (1 inch), cut rounds and place on a greased tray
- Brush with a little milk
- Cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
Makes approximately 12.