Self-investment is not usually a priority for women especially when we have a family and a career to juggle.
This week, my guest is the lovely, Min from Write of the Middle. Min is a fellow Queensland blogger and really only lives a few suburbs away from me. She has also recently started distributing a new line of skin care Gorgeous Woman and I was lucky enough to win her recent giveaway competition. I’m trying the products now, so will be writing a review over the next few weeks. You can also find details of Min’s website at the end of the article.
Today, Min is discussing a subject that is very dear to my heart – self-investment. Most of us have gone through life raising a family, having a career, being there for family and friends and forgetting about ourselves. Now at 50 and beyond, we can change that and start looking after ourselves as we become empty nesters or take a step back from full time work.
Looking after ourselves after 50 and realising that we are just as important as everyone else is vital to positive aging.
12 Tips for self-investment in your 50’s & beyond
You’re over 50. Your kids are now adults. You have more time on your hands. Your parents and their generation are aging and passing on. Your own mortality is more real than ever. It’s time!
Time for what you might ask? Time to prioritise yourself and self-invest!
For many years you have prioritised others before yourself – your children, your husband, your parents, extended family, work, school demands, housework, and more! Along the way, bit by bit you have neglected yourself. Your life becomes unbalanced and you start to lose yourself, an understanding of who you are, what you like to do, and what makes you happy.
Now is the time for you! Time to strip back the layers and get to know yourself again. Time to rediscover or learn who you are. It’s time to self-invest. This is how I believe we can thrive in our 50’s and beyond.
Self-investment to me is about tuning in to you, really making the effort to understand yourself and identify what it is that you need in order to feel happy, healthy and fulfilled in every way: physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. We want to spend the rest of our lives joyfully and why shouldn’t we?!
Here’s 12 tips on how we can self-invest:
- Eat healthy, nutritious food – we don’t have to be perfect all of the time but as a general rule stick to fresh and nutritious foods.
- Regular activity – rather than use the word exercise let’s use the word activity. Find one or more activity that gets your heart pumping and that you enjoy doing and do that regularly!
- Meet up with friends regularly – girlfriends are the best therapy, as is laughter. Make a regular date with your besties to catch up for chatter and laughter.
- Date nights – help keep the romance alive and look after your relationship by scheduling a regular date night. Mix it up and do something different each time.
- Pamper yourself – if we feel good on the outside, we feel good on the inside, right ladies? Shout yourself to a bit of pampering now and then – a massage, a facial, a manicure, a pedicure. Invest in good skin-care products. You get the picture!
- Quieten your busy mind – consider practicing mindfulness. Not only is it proven to help alleviate symptoms of stress, depression and anxiety but it also helps to slow down an over thinking busy mind (‘monkey mind’), improves our ability to focus, improves our immune functioning, can help us sleep better and provides a greater sense of overall wellbeing.
- Get outside in nature – you can never underestimate the healing powers of nature. If you spend regular time outdoors enjoying nature – your vitamin D levels will rise; you will be moving your body; you will enhance your mood; you will be boosting your immunity; and, you will enjoy a clearer head!
- Switch off and have regular digital detox time – One of the reasons our minds have become so cluttered and busy is because we are always ‘switched on’! We are glued to our mobile phones and computers. We are constantly engaged in social media. Busy, busy, busy! Our minds need regular time out to slow down, relax and be present.
- Practice gratitude – Such a simple practice can bring our priorities back into line. All you need do is look for one thing in each day for which you are grateful. You will soon discover that generally it is simple things – like the cup of tea or coffee that your husband might make you in the morning, the winter sunshine on your face, when your child or grandchild smiles, the sounds of birds chirping, a sunrise or sunset sky.
- Find a hobby that brings you joy – Doing something you enjoy and that brings a sense of achievement all contributes to that feeling of fulfilment that we all need. It may be art or craft or photography or gardening or dancing. When you find it, just make sure you make time to do it!
- Travel – it opens your mind to new experiences and perspectives. It gets you away from your day to day routine and encourages spontaneity. When you travel you are always learning – geographical facts, cultural differences or similarities, historical facts, new languages, and more! It doesn’t have to be overseas travel. Local, intrastate, and interstate travel can be just as fun and beneficial.
- Non-negotiable health check-ups – don’t forget to schedule these! Prevention is far less of a hassle than hoping for a cure.
If we take the time for self-investment, and getting the balance right for ourselves, there’s no reason why we can’t thrive in our 50’s and way beyond!
53-year-old Min lives on the beautiful Moreton Bay in Brisbane. She’s passionate about encouraging women to prioritise themselves and to look after their health and wellbeing in all ways – spiritually, mentally, physically and emotionally. She’s a photography enthusiast, nature lover, mum to three young adults, and adorer of her Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Min has been blogging at Write of the Middle since late October 2014. Though the topics posted there can vary widely, at its core the blog explores ways and means to obtaining balance of mind, body and spirit. Min has been blogging for over 5 years overall, as she started her first ‘L Plate’ blog in September 2012. She recently discovered the delights and benefits of a range of 100% natural botanical plant-based skin care oils – all handcrafted in small batches local to her at nearby Cleveland. She’s so passionate about these products that she not only uses them but has become a distributor of them and has incorporated a link to her online shop on her blog.
Connect with Min
Min’s Online Shop: http://www.gorgeouswoman2.com.au
Don’t forget to post your Instagram photos using the hashtag #over50andthriving.