My guest this week for the Over 50 & Thriving Series, is Patricia Doyle from Retirement Transition. I haven’t known Pat for very long, but we clicked immediately. I love her inspirational blog and knew I wanted her as a guest. Pat, like many of us is going through the transition from working life into Retirement and as we all know that is not necessarily an easy task. Today she discusses living life by design, creating a vision and living with intention. Please also, take the time at the end to visit her website and social media.
7 Ways to Thrive Living a Lifestyle by Design
Thriving for me is summed up in my 2018 word-of-the-year choice: SOAR. While it can stand alone, it also an added meaning: Savoring, Optimistic, Activating, and Resilient – two things I want to be and two things I want to do this year. And a big part of the activating element is putting into place the lifestyle I want to live at this stage of my life. I call this Lifestyle by Design… because life will happen by design or by default. By Design required a combination of creating the vision and them living it with intention.
Creating my authentic lifestyle vision required honesty and courage to identify My vision, based on My values. Not the socially acceptable ones. Not the expectations of others. It was about listening to my true inner voice (the creative one, the kind one), and not the critical one (which tells me I’m not enough or I’m incompetent). My lifestyle vision came to life (no pun intended) in many ways: vision board, multi-year action plans, and affirmations.
Living with intention is a choice I (attempt to) make everyday. I choose activities to engage in, where to spend time and energy, and who to spend time with based on what matches my vision-based action plan and expresses who I want to be. I need to continue to retrain my brain to break old habits and choose the things that support my life vision!
Living with intention has also been about structuring the environment to support my lifestyle vision. We recently right-sized to create the space that fits the life we wanted to live. This included giving me an “office” sanctuary plus the space to cook healthy meals. And it gives hubby his toy-shed.
Living with intention requires me to break many old, self-sabotaging habits. I need to remind myself to not play comparative inferiority where I compare myself to others and despair. I can admire them without needing to make it my own! I need to also let go of what’s toxic in my life, fight inertia, and be more mindful in eating (one of my worst habits).
My Daily Lifestyle Choices are ways I am trying to live the life of my dreams.
1. Practice Positivity – journal gratitude, use affirmations & emotional awareness tools, find joy in each day to heighten awareness of the now, create positive spaces (even a feng shui review of our new house).
2. Nourish My Body – mindful eating, eat more greens & fruit, move it (almost) every day, hydrate, sleep when needed, and the occasional massage!
3. Mini Adventures (physical or mental) – learn new things (explore, discover, try), plan Out & About activities, read blogs, get off the couch, cook more, eat out (explore new places, great conversations with friends), do crosswords.
4. Friendship Investment – plan intentional, regular connections; continue to create circle of friends who have mutual interests.
5. Know Thyself – self acceptance that I need more structure versus spontaneity, my expression of love is time spent, and I find enjoyment in synthesis & organization. Acceptance of me.
6. Let Go of the Negative (a true work in progress) – Unshackled from “bad” space, continue comparative inferiority awareness, release of societal (and family) expectations, and practicing self-kindness.
7. Self-expression through blogging/writing – Continue to explore if is this my purpose, my passion?
I am meant to Soar. Not live in chains. Not just meeting others expectations. Not just living on paper. But being my own true, authentic self, day in and day out.
Lifestyle By Design. To Soar. To Thrive.
Don’t forget to post your Instagram photos using the hashtag #over50andthriving.