I think the Festive Season calls for a little celebration and I usually make these truffles as gifts or in case people drop in. Last year I tried three different flavours and they were certainly popular. Once set store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.Properly stored, they should last for a week. For optimal taste and texture, bring them to room
Decadent Chocolate Truffles
3/4 cup of whipping cream
9 oz Dark Chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons of brandy
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
5 oz dark, milk or white chocolate – I usually make a combination of all three as they look so colourful.
- Heat cream to just below a simmer and pour over the chopped chocolate
- Stir gently to blend then stire in the vanilla extract & brandy
- Cool to room temperature
- Beat with a whisk to make fluffy then cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour
- Run hands under cold tap
- Spoon small teaspoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls
- Place on a baking tray & freeze for 30 mins
- Dip truffles in melted chocolate – I usually use a toothpick – place on a clean tray
- Once set you can decorate with cocoa powder, chopped nuts or pipe with chocolate
Lime Coconut Truffles
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp cream
zest of one lime
1 tbsp fresh-squeezed lime juice
1.25 cups chopped white chocolate – you can use white chocolate chips if you prefer
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup finely shredded coconut
- Combine the cream and the lime zest in a small saucepan over medium heat, and heat until it starts to simmer and bubble around the edges. Immediately remove from the heat and cover the pan with a lid, allowing the cream to infuse for 20 minutes.
- While the cream is steeping, combine the chopped white chocolate (or white chocolate chips), the salt, and the diced butter in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate and butter for 45 seconds, to begin to melt the chocolate and butter. Set aside.
- After the 20 minutes is up, return the cream to the heat and reheat it, stirring occasionally, until it once again reaches a simmer.
- Remove the simmering cream from the heat, and stir in the fresh lime juice.
- Place a wire mesh strainer over the bowl of chocolate and butter, and pour the hot cream through the strainer over the chocolate.
- Press down on the lime zest in the strainer with a spoon to extract all of the remaining juice.
- Gently whisk the cream and chocolate together, stirring until the mixture is smooth and all of the chocolate has melted.
- Cover the surface of the chocolate with cling wrap and refrigerate the candy until firm enough to roll, 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the chocolate has set sufficiently, use a teaspoon to scoop a ball from the chocolate and roll it between your hands until it is round.
- Roll the truffle in the chopped coconut until it is completely covered.
- Repeat with the remaining chocolate and coconut.
Frangelico & Nutella Truffles
10 oz chocolate – dark or milk works best
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup Nutella
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons Frangelico liquer
Melt chocolate, cream and Nutella until chocolate has melted
Stir until smooth
Whisk in vanilla and Frangelico liquer
Pour into a shallow dish and cover with plastic wrap
Refrigerate for 2 hours ONLY ANY LONGER AND THE MIXTURE WILL BECOME TOO HARD
Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper
Spoon 2 teaspoonfuls or use a melon baller to scoop the mixture
Roll into balls
Roll into chopped hazelnuts