Health and Happiness – two things that we strive for to make our lives complete. Yes, I know that some would argue that you don’t necessarily need both – you can be happy or you can be healthy but for me, I honestly believe the two go ‘hand in hand’. As the Dalai Lama says: “Happiness is the Highest form of Health”
Photo courtesy of geniusquotes.net
Reaching midlife has made me reflect on where I’ve been and where I want to be. I’ve taken stock of my life and know that if I want to live a long and fulfilling life I need my health to be in ‘top shape’.
No I don’t mean working out to the extreme or living on lettuce leaves. My philosophy to keeping healthy is exercising regularly and making healthier food choices – it is all about BALANCE! (Read my 6 steps to finding the right balance at any age)
We all struggle with motivation, but I know that when I exercise I feel fabulous – maybe not always while I’m doing it but definitely I always have that ‘post workout’ high.
‘Why is that?’ – you ask.
Well when we exercise we release a chemical called Dopamine which is a neurotransmitter to the brain to make us feel happier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_brain#Dopamine
We need to realise that we need to invest in our ourselves in order to be happy and healthy. You are so worth it!
8 Reasons Why Health & Happiness go hand in hand
- Physical health plus Mental health plus Spiritual Health all combine to make us feel holistically well.
- Exercise reduces Stress and clears the mind. We feel less anxious and can appreciate all the positives in our lives. I know when I’m feeling stressed or anxious I go for a run and always feel I can tackle my problems or fears after a good workout.
- Good healthy food can improve your mood. Eating a well-balanced diet will provide the necessary vitamins and minerals our bodies need to perform well. Studies suggest that some foods can help fight ‘the blues’ to improve our mood and make us less stressed and anxious. http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/mind_body_spirit_center/7_foods_to_boost_your_mood_naturally
- Exercise releases endorphins – a chemical released into your brain which triggers positive feelings. I mentioned above the ‘workout high’ that I feel after exercising and this carries through into the rest of my day.
- Being healthy means you can do more because you are fitter, not only physically but mentally. You have more energy and feel alive.
- Spending time outdoors and getting back to nature provides a sense of wellbeing. Go for a bushwalk and look at your surroundings, take a deep breath and feel the wonders of nature round you.
- Exercise can improve your sleep and we all know how grumpy we can get if we don’t have a good night’s sleep. When we sleep our bodies regenerate and recover. It is so important to get quality sleep each night.
- When you feel good, you look good and you want to achieve more in your life. Your self-esteem improves. You feel happy when you achieve your dreams and goals and so a healthy and happy cycle begins.
Join me tomorrow for ‘I’ is for Inner Child – Why Releasing Your Inner Child is good for your health.
Let’s Keep Sizzling!