It’s time for our monthly link up for Wellness Wednesday and this month we are sharing our tips on Mental Health Care. We take time to look after our physical health but sometimes we forget that our mental and spiritual health is just as important.
May was Mental Health Month and I participated in the Mindful in May Challenge and also shared some ideas improving our mental health. I’m sharing some of these tips again in case you missed the post.
In this busy world we live in, where so many demands are placed on our time, it is easy to feel stressed and anxious. Today, I would like to share 5 ways you can improve your mental health today. REMEMBER: IF YOU ARE FEELING DEPRESSED OR NEED HELP, PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR TALK TO SOMEONE.
5 ways to improve your mental health today
1. Make daily movement a part of life
Studies have shown that regular exercise helps not only with our physical health but also our mental and spiritual well being.
I’ve decided to ditch the word ‘exercise’ because it can have a negative connotation and sounds more like a chore. Falling in love with an activity which gets you moving each day for at least 30 minutes will do wonders for your mental health.
If you love what you do you are more inclined to stick to it. I love to run and I know that if I have a problem, or I feel ‘low’ a run or walk in the fresh air will clear the mind, get the endorphins (happy feelings) going and makes me fell happier.
2. Take time out for relaxation and fun
Ensuring that you have time out for yourself to enjoy what you love is very important. There are so many ways to relax our mind:
- Read a book
- Watch a movie
- Catch up with family and friends
- Go for a walk
- Watch the ocean and follow the rhythm of the waves lapping the shore
- Bushwalking and enjoying the sounds of nature
- Sitting in the sun
- Appreciating a sunrise or sunset
- Listening to music
- Physical exercise – even though you are moving you do feel relaxed mentally after exercise.
- Tai chi
Choose something you enjoy and can become engrossed in so you aren’t thinking about your problems for a while.
3. Be Mindful and Present
- Mindfulness brings you ‘in the moment’
- Helps you to clear your mind,
- Teaches you to forget about the past or future and just appreciate the moment you are experiencing.
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Helps to slow down your thoughts
- Helps you to focus
- Aids relaxation
- Improves immune system
4. Be Social
Staying connected for good mental health is important especially as we age. Keeping in touch with friends and family gives us the opportunity to talk, share our problems, enjoy a laugh or even helps take the focus off our problems and we can take time out to enjoy the company of others.
5. Disconnect from technology, enjoy some sunshine and get back to nature
Technology appears to have taken over our lives and most of us feel naked without our smart phones. Taking some time to disconnect from the world and sit or walk in the sunshine helps to life your mood. Getting back to nature by going to a park, bushwalking or sitting by the ocean has a calming effect. Try disconnecting for at least one day a week and see what a difference it makes to your general mental health.
What is one thing you can do today to help you improve your mental health?
A quick update on my Wellness Goals
- 12 weeks alcohol free – this has been a great achievement for my husband and I
- Running – In training for the 34km Bloody Long Walk which I hope to run
- Weekly yoga sessions
- Weekly weight session
I’ve managed to tick each of these and am maintaining my wellness goals for 2018.
Let’s Keep Sizzling!