Into the fourth week of the Mindful in May Challenge and I really took the pressure off myself this week. I didn’t look at the interviews and just concentrated on making the guided meditation more meaningful.
In this week’s update I will be bringing you some mindful tips that have been shared with us throughout the program.
Day 22 – Guided Meditation – The Happiness Meditation
I liked the title of the guided meditation and so I felt positive before I had started. The Happiness guided meditation practice gives you an opportunity to reflect on your life and create a vision for your deepest happiness. It was 13 minutes just focussing on happiness and gratitude.
- what makes us happy,
- having the vision of what we would like in order to be happy,
- what we would like from others to add to our happiness
- what we COULD DO TO MAKE OTHERS HAPPY
Mindfulness Tip #1
Day 23 – Guided Meditation – Opening your heart meditation
Cultivating positive thoughts and kindness to ourselves. Nourishing yourself with appreciation. Our thoughts focussed on showing the following feelings to ourselves and others.
- spontaneous happiness,
- joy – catching moments of joy during our day,
- equanimity spacious quality which allows us to work with change rather than against. It is the balance of evenness of mind to tolerate suffering in life and appreciate all good things that come out way and arise in the world.
Mindfulness Tip #2
Mindfulness Exercise – focus on you
It is easy to show love, kindness and compassion to others but how often do we give the same feelings to ourselves? This Mindfulness exercise will help to focus how we feel about ourselves and acknowledge love for ourselves in the same way we would acknowledge why we love our family and friends.
Write a letter to yourself as if you were writing to a friend to acknowledge what you most value and admire about them.
- Set a timer for five minutes and let your pen flow.
- Write about the strengths you most value about yourself, moments of generosity, courage, forgiveness, or times you moved out of your comfort zone in order to expand and grow.
- Write as if you were writing to a friend to let them know how grateful you are to have them in your life and to let them know what you admire about them
- Think of what you are feeling while writing the letter.
- Keep this letter and refer back to it from time to time to support your daily diet of positive emotions and wellbeing
Day 24 – Guided Meditation – Loving Kindness Meditation
Today was another meditation to focus on loving kindness to ourselves and others. By sending well wishes and phrases of loving kindness.
‘May you be peaceful, May you be happy, May you be healthy and strong, May you be filled with loving kindness.’
- Someone you love – who opens your heart when you think of them. I thought of my darling grandson, Ethan.
- Yourself – repeating the mantra and directing it at yourself
- All beings everywhere
Mindfulness Tip #3
Day 25 – Guided Meditation – Amplify Your Gratitude
This 15 minute guided meditation helped us focus on what we are grateful for. The question, asked several times throughout the mediation was: ‘In this moment, what am I grateful for’.
Mindfulness Tip #4
Day 26 – Guided Meditation – Prepare for sleep meditation
I’ve never really been a good sleeper so I looked forward to this calming meditation. Many of us suffer from insomnia or disturbed sleep and a great contributor is our mobile phones or laptops.
The light from our devices affects our circadian rhythm, and science has proven that blue light – the light emitted from our devices – actually suppresses melatonin (a hormone that influences our circadian rhythm and supports sleep).
A few tips for getting a better night’s sleep
- Leave your electronic devices in another room
- Try to reduce your exposure to blue light at least an hour before bed (mobile phone, computer and tablet screens).
- Try out blue-light blocker glasses.
- Take five minutes to ‘brain-dump’ in the evening. Write down all of the things that are on your mind and the things you need to do the next day.
Mindfulness Tip #5
Day 27 – Guided Meditation- Miracle of the breath and body meditation
This meditation again focused on the breath and also various parts of our body and recognizing what a miracle the human body is.
Mindfulness Tip #6
Day 28 – Guided Meditation
No guided meditation today but a chance to complete an End of Program Reflection and watch an inspirational video, by Alan Watts. This video is about Living Fully Now and I have included below as my last Mindfulness Tip for the week.
Mindfulness Tip #7
What can you do today to start Living Fully Now?